Onychomycosis is a fungal infection of the skin and nails of the feet. It usually appears between the fingers, it can be noticed by a change in color on the folds, and when the infection spreads to the nails, by stratification and deformation of the plates. At the first signs of pathology, expert consultation is required; in our clinic nail fungus is treated with modern methods. The doctor will prescribe procedures after a thorough examination.
Therapy can be conservative if the course of the disease is mild and the fungus has just begun to appear. Apply topical agents with fungicidal action. Let’s talk in more detail about the causes, development, and treatment of onychomycosis.
Onychomycosis is caused by fungi dermatophytes and microspores, which actively begin to multiply in favorable conditions: with poor fresh air supply and in a humid environment. Such conditions are inherent in the area between the toes, especially if a person wears tight, closed shoes in tight weather, rarely changing underwear. If you adhere to hygienic health, even in the presence of spores, onychomycosis will never appear.
Most often the disease develops under the influence of the following reasons:
- narrow interdigital spaces, creating a favorable environment for fungi;
- overweight, heavy load on legs, sweating;
- vascular diseases of the legs, leading to damage to local blood circulation;
- finger and nail plate injuries.
The fungus usually appears between 3-5 fingers, which is explained by the peculiarity of the anatomy. Prolonged wearing of tight shoes interferes with ventilation and blood supply, which creates favorable conditions for fungal growth.
How to recognize onychomycosis?
The fungus usually appears between the fingers and can be asymptomatic for a long time. The skin becomes rough, begins to peel, thicken and may change color - it turns yellow or becomes dark in color. At this stage the disease is replaced by the usual local irritation.
The following symptoms appear later:
- the skin becomes whitish or greenish, at the site of the initial appearance may be a wound;
- then a diaper rash appears, the skin begins to peel, fluid is released (exudate);
- with a prolonged course of the disease, flour-like peeling is noticed between the fingers - it looks as if the skin is sprinkled with flour;
- the patient occasionally or constantly feels itching between the fingers.
Treatment of fungus - the advice of a dermatologist
All experts unanimously say that it is almost impossible to cure the fungus at home without examination. In severe cases of the disease, spores from the skin pass to the nail plate and penetrate into the deep layers. Differential diagnosis requires microscopy performed in a clinic.
The following methods are used to treat nail fungus:
- local ointments - smear the skin between the fingers and nail plates;
- fungicidal preparations in the form of tablets and capsules - drink according to the doctor's recommendations, drugs penetrate through the blood into the skin and nails and destroy fungi;
- paramedical treatment shows good results: cleaning the nail plate with photodynamic therapy.
In order for the fungus to heal completely, a course of drug therapy and several procedures for paramedical treatment will be required. The time depends on the severity of the lesion, so you must see a doctor at the first appearance of onychomycosis. During the treatment period and after therapy, protective measures should be worn loose shoes, and in summer leave closed shoes and sneakers. Change bed linen every day.