A lot of people face such a nasty disease as nail fungus. You will learn more about the causes and treatment of this disease later.
Nail fungus: causes and symptoms
There are about 50 types of fungi that can cause toenail disease. But they are all combined into 3 groups:
- It looks like yeast.
In 90% of cases, the cause of the fungus is a fungus of the first group. About 7% fall into the latter group, 3% of patients fall victim to mold. Nail fungus affects every fifth inhabitant.
The symptoms of the fungus are:
- If it is a normotrophic fungus, then yellow spots appear on the side of the nail. If the fungus is not treated, it increases in size and covers the entire nail. The thickness of the nail remains the same, but white streaks appear on it.
- With hypertrophic fungus, not only do spots appear, but the nail also thickens. The nail becomes like a bird's claw. If you do not perform timely treatment, it becomes very painful when walking, and the nail becomes dark yellow or gray.
- If you find an atrophic fungus, then in this case brown-gray spots are noticed on the nails, the shine is reduced. If the treatment is not done on time, nail necrosis will occur.
- Symptoms of lateral and distal fungus include shiny nails and yellow color. The nail may begin to disintegrate and later acquire a blue-green or even black color. The last stage is the complete destruction of the nail.
- There is also a proximal fungus, with which the nail becomes white, starting from the growth zone. Over time, whiteness covers the entire nail.
- If the last two points do not respond to treatment, a total fungus occurs. With it, the nail disintegrates until it is completely destroyed.
Even if the forms are very different, there are general symptoms of the fungus:
- The nail begins to fall apart.
- The board changes color.
- The nail plate is peeling.
- Painful sensations.
- Itching is felt around the nail.
Cause of fungus:
- Mechanical injuries.
- Influence of chemical elements (detergents, synthetic components).
- Synthetic socks and tight shoes.
- Excessive sweating of the feet.
- Improper hygiene.
- Weak immune system.
- Cold climate. Therefore, you need to wear thick and warm clothes, creating favorable conditions for the development of fungi.
- Age. The fungus is more commonly seen in the elderly.
- Floor. According to statistics, the disease is detected 3 times more often in men.
- Profession. Strange, but if a person works in a mine or nuclear power plant, they are more likely to have a similar disease. It's all because of moisture and dust.
- Accompanying diseases. With diabetes mellitus, obesity, problems with the gastrointestinal tract and HIV infection, the probability of the disease increases 5 times.
- Taking medication.
The ways of fungal infection are:
- Visits to public places, such as bathrooms, saunas.
- Use the same slippers, towels, socks for several people.
- Cosmetic procedures without proper hygiene (pedicure).
Stages of toenail fungus
The fungus affects the nail gradually. The disease has several stages:
- Earlywhen the changes on the nail are not particularly noticeable. It is preceded by itchy skin of the feet. Cracks can even appear on the feet. Furthermore, the nail is gradually affected. This phase can be identified only after laboratory research.
- Normotrophic lesion, which is shown with more pronounced streaks and spots. To that extent the nail is not yet broken and no thickening occurs.
- Running phase, when not only does the color of the plate change, but the thickening, crumbling and destruction of the nail begins.
Treatment of nail fungus
In case the fungus does not work, then you should use a mushroom varnish, prescribed by a specialist.
Folk remedies for nail fungus, treatment of fungus at home
With vinegar you can get rid of problems like nail fungus. The main thing to consider is the concentration of acetic acid. The recipe can say 70% or 9%. As if the concentration is incorrect, you can get severe burns.
Vinegar use options:
- Bath with vinegar - pour a glass of 9% vinegar into a bowl of water and dip your feet to the ankles for 15 minutes. Then dry your feet and put on socks. Repeat the procedure three times a week.
- Pour 9% vinegar on the sponge and apply on your finger for 15 minutes. Repeat daily for a week.
- Mix 70% acetic acid with olive oil and glycerin in equal amounts. Mix the ingredients and apply daily to the affected area overnight. In the morning, wash your feet with laundry soap.
Hydrogen peroxide is also an effective remedy:
- 100 g of baking soda;
- 1 liter of hot water;
- 50 g of peroxide;
- 25 g of vinegar.
Mix the ingredients and soak the sponge in the solution. Put a cotton pad on the nail and wrap it with a band-aid overnight. Change the disc every 12 hours. Apply 30 days.
At home you can use such a folk remedy as celandine:
- Buy celandine oil at the pharmacy and apply it on your nails every day. Don't be afraid that the nail is orange. This is due to contact with the components of celandine. Use until complete recovery.
- In summer, lubricate the nail with fresh celandine juice. Repeat this procedure every 5 minutes 3 times in a row twice a day.
- Mix 5 drops of herbal juice with 2 drops of marigold juice. Apply three times a day until complete recovery.
Prevention of nail fungus
Prevention of this disease is a simple technique:
- Regular foot hygiene.
- Wear comfortable shoes, preferably made of natural materials.
- Performing cosmetic procedures for nails - using creams and sprays.
- Use personal items such as slippers, socks or a washcloth.
In this case, the mushroom will not be scary for you. Be healthy!