Among the various forms of mycosis, a large percentage of "coverage" provides the nail, or onychomycosis, a contagious disease known to people since ancient times, so folk remedies for toenail fungus are no less popular than traditional pharmacological. People have kept such knowledge for many generations, shared it, and almost every man knows some recipe for the fungus, which he has ever "tried" himself, relatives, friends or just acquaintances.
Causes of disease
Before treating nail fungus, it is important to understand the cause of the disease.
The microflora of several species is "responsible" for the spread of onychomycosis:
- Yeast Candida.
- Mldy Aspergillum.
This microflora is dangerous for both the lower and upper extremities, but the most common (in about 70% of cases) are infected toenails. This "readability" is due to the fact that the foot is in a high risk area: it is the subject of most physical activity. The foot sweats more and is constantly bad - especially in urban conditions, when a person is forced to spend most of the day in shoes, and if they are not hygroscopic and not comfortable enough, it serves as an additional "plus" in favor of the disease.
The culprit in most cases of onychomycosis is the so-called red trichophyton, or Trichophyton rubrum from the genus dermatophyte. The main way of its penetration into the body is through the skin, therefore nail onychomycosis refers to diseases that are transmitted by contact. Direct contact of the affected dermis with the healthy one, as well as contact with objects sown with fungal spores, is also dangerous. Microscopic particles of dead epidermis that are invisible to the eye are constantly falling off the surface of any person's skin, replacing new cells. If he is infected with mycosis, those particles contain his spores, always ready to find a new "host". Coming to the dermis, they very easily "move" to the nail and begin their destructive work.
But this only happens if the disputes are found in favorable conditions, which include:
- uncomfortable shoes;
- foot microtrauma - scratches, cracks, blisters;
- hyperhidrosis - increased sweating;
- high temperature and humidity of the environment;
- weakness of the immune system;
- somatic diseases - diabetes mellitus, etc.
The time factor also plays an important role: the mycelium does not take root on the skin immediately, and if you manage to wash it off before the spores penetrate deep enough, the infection can be avoided. That is why personal hygiene is so important for protection against infection.
But if, despite all the precautions, it was not possible to protect oneself from the disease, what symptoms can be used to determine that it is time to start the treatment of nail onychomycosis?
Symptoms of pathology
Speaking of how to treat nail fungus, it is worth noting that the symptoms of the disease do not appear immediately: from the moment of infection to the appearance of the first signs passes a fairly long period, from several days to several months, depending on its varieties.
Experts know four main types of onychomycosis:
- Distal and lateral (subungual).
Each of these types has its own symptoms:
- In the first case, the plate retains its normal thickness, but changes its natural color, overlapping with streaks and spots of yellowish-white hue, initially localized on the divine parts and gradually covering the entire surface. It moves so far away from the finger that it is often removed spontaneously. When accidentally hooked on something, the nail guard can "fly out", revealing the bed.
- Hypertrophy is characterized by thickening of the plate, takes on a gray or dirty yellow color, begins to crumble and deform, becoming like a bird's claw, which is why such deformation is called onychogryphosis.
- Atrophy causes complete destruction of the lobe, resulting in the discovery of a nail bed that is covered with a layer of loose skin scales. The process starts at the top, gradually moving towards the so-called growth zone, which can remain intact.
- The symptoms of the distal and lateral type of onychomycosis have similar characteristics and are often present at the same time. The affected scotelum becomes blunt and covered with transverse grooves. At the same time, the color varies depending on which shape is present: for yeast is characterized by a yellow hue, for mold - greenish or close to black. If left untreated, the plaque can collapse completely.
Once you find at least one of these signs, you should take action immediately. By refusing to treat toenail fungus, a person endangers not only himself but the entire environment. At the same time, the main danger of nail fungus is not in the aesthetic side of the problem at all. Without encountering resistance, the mycelium of the fungus can penetrate the blood and internal organs - lungs, esophagus, intestines.
Ways to get rid of the disease
How to get rid of nail fungus? The first step should be to contact a specialist - only he can take responsibility for diagnosing and prescribing medication. Diagnosis is not limited to external examination, even if all the signs of fungus on the feet, as they say, are evident, because the possibility of a disease of non-mycotic nature with similar symptoms cannot be ruled out. Only the results of laboratory studies, including microscopy and the so-called Sabouraud bacterial culture, can confirm or refute the suspicion.
If onychomycosis of the nail is diagnosed, the doctor prescribes treatment at home with local and oral antifungals. After consulting with him, you can intensify the traditional treatment of toenail fungus folk remedies. About what - more on that later, but be prepared for the fact that it will take a long time for treatment, because folk remedies against nail fungus, as well as conventional, must be applied until new, healthy shields grow.
Traditional methods of treating nail fungus are very numerous. Most of these recipes are so-called local, ie. external methods based on direct action on the mycelium.
In this case, different components are used:
- garden and horticultural plants;
- substances used in the household.
Onychomycosis is popularly treated with simple soap, baking soda, table vinegar, and even so far from a safe ingredient such as concentrated vinegar essence. I must say that with proper, careful and systematic use, many of them show quite effective results, helping to get rid of nail fungus at home. And if the diagnosis is made by a professional who has nothing against using these methods in addition to traditional ones, traditional medicine comes to the aid of pharmacology.
Medicines around us
For mycosis of the foot treatment includes baths, compresses, lubrication and other external procedures.
All folk recipes for toenail fungus can be divided into three groups:
- use of herbs;
- use of fruit and vegetable juices;
- using "household chemicals" - soda, soap, vinegar.
If you treat nail fungus with folk remedies, the most effective of them are lemon and vinegar, because it is known that the acidic environment for fungal spores is an extremely unfavorable factor. Many healers recommend that you start treating toenail fungus at home with lemon juice. We will share a few ways to use lemon that can help treat nail fungus at home.
Cut the citrus into as thin round slices as possible. Divide each into pieces, the size of which will depend on the size of the affected nail guard. Half a cup is suitable for the thumbs, a quarter is enough for the little ones. After steaming the shields and treating with nail scissors, wrap slices of lemon on the nails. Attach each such "compress" with plaster, covering it from above with cellophane, or simply place a suitable plastic bag on your foot. It is recommended to do the changing in the evening, before going to bed, focusing on your own feelings. If you do not feel strong discomfort, you can leave the lemon applications overnight. In the morning, wash your feet without soap and put on freshly ironed socks.
Another effective remedy for toenail fungus is soda mixed with lemon juice. After you have evaporated your feet in a solution of baking soda in the amount of one tablespoon of both per 2 liters of water, you need to squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on each inflamed toe so that it affects not only the shield, but also the skin. around him. Then you need to sprinkle your fingers with baking soda. Foam will appear which is a mixture of fungi on the nails.
Those who have tried lemon recipes claim that such procedures can cure nail fungus, repeating them every night for a month and a half to two months.
It is recommended to treat nail fungus with vinegar, the neglected form of folk remedies is very successfully eliminated. Folk remedies for onychomycosis are different types of vinegar: table vinegar, apple vinegar, concentrated.
A neglected toenail fungus is treated with vinegar as follows:
- Mix vinegar and iodine in a ratio of 1 to 1, lubricate the diseased plates with the composition twice a day, morning and evening.
- In the evening, mix apple cider vinegar and any vegetable oil equally, moisten a piece of cotton wool with the mixture. Apply to sore finger, stick with a band-aid, put a sock on your foot and go to bed.
- Baths with apple cider vinegar help if you keep your feet in a heated solution every day for 15 minutes, and then go to bed without rinsing.
- Mix equal 9% vinegar with freshly squeezed carrot juice and apply this mixture to the nail guards, applying it with a cotton swab. The effect will be twofold: vinegar is deadly for fungal spores, and carrot juice is good for the skin.
- A popular folk remedy for nail fungus is egg dissolved in vinegar essence. It is placed in a glass so that the shell does not touch the walls of the vessel, it is poured over the essence and placed in the dark. After the final dissolution of the shell, apply the agent to the previously evaporated, cut and trimmed affected plate with a cotton swab.
Many people use liquid fungus on their nails - the medicine is quite old, but effective, it consists of glycerin, vinegar and an alcoholic solution of iodine. Its preparation can be ordered at the pharmacy.
Important: if vinegar is part of the medicine, you can use it only if there are not the slightest injuries on the skin. Otherwise, not only very painful feelings await you, but also unpleasant consequences in the form of burns.
Do plants help against fungus, and if so, how to cure nail fungus with them? The most famous herbal folk recipe consists of royal jelly, boiled in boiling water in a ratio of 1 to 2 and evaporated in a water bath. The broth must be diluted in a liter of water and the legs raised.
Treating nail fungus with folk remedies includes even a conspiracy against nail fungus, but it is hardly worth seriously discussing this method - there are many much more effective ways, and folk remedies can cure this disease without resorting to unconventional methods.
It should be reminded that it is possible to cure nail fungus, but there is no immunity or vaccination against fungal infections, so if you managed to cure nail fungus, treatment with folk remedies gave results or the drug worked, from now on you must carefully follow the rules of personal hygieneand precautions to prevent re-infection.