If you have problems with nail plates, it is important to know which doctor treats toenail fungus in order to consult a specialist without waiting for complications. It is difficult for a person who encounters a fungal infection for the first time to understand the name of this expert. Dermatologists and mycologists deal with the problems of fungal diseases, so a visit to a therapist is hardly recommended.
What are nail fungus
A disease caused by parasitic microorganisms is called a pathogenic fungus. The disease affects the cornea (nails) and the skin of the feet around them, develops quickly, brings discomfort and discomfort. Living in the body, dangerous parasites poison it with toxins, which can worsen the general condition. They can become infected by wearing other people's shoes, disrespecting foot hygiene, walking barefoot on the beach or in the pool. People with such problems must know which doctor treats nail fungus in order to prevent complications and receive appropriate treatment that eliminates the unpleasant disease.
Symptoms of the disease
Which doctor will treat the symptoms of toenail fungus depends on how much the plate affected by the fungus has been destroyed and what kind of lesion it has. The following characteristic signs of the fungus appear:
- normotrophic type: streaks, spots on the sides of the nail ocher-yellow or white, ease of separation of the plate from the skin, the person suffers from itchy skin under healthy nails;
- hypertrophic: plate thickening, loss of luster, crumbling, dullness, strong deformation, dark yellow or gray;
- atrophic: brown-gray color, loss of shine, pallor, necrosis and destruction of the nail bed of the fingers;
- lateral and distal: loss of color, transverse yellowish furrows, crumbling, roughness, bare toenails, swelling, redness, induration, pain of the skin rollers of the feet, advanced cases may be characterized by the appearance of pus;
- proximal: bleaching, destruction;
- total: complete destruction of the toenail due to lack of therapy;
- surface white: white spots, crumbling, delamination, pain.
Which doctor treats nail fungus
Knowing which doctor deals with nails is useful for every patient who has encountered toenail fungus. In this case, the therapist will not help, you need to visit a narrowly focused specialist. This doctor is a dermatologist, he consults in the initial stages of the disease. In advanced cases, a consultation with a mycologist is required - this is an expert who treats nail fungus in a narrowly targeted way.
This doctor can prescribe the right treatment, it deals with the elimination of nail fungus. His qualifications enable him to treat skin problems including viral, infectious, dermatitis, eczema and parasitic diseases. The latter involves a fungal infection. If the case does not start, you should contact a dermatologist at a local clinic or dermatovenereological dispensary, make an appointment for the first examination. If indicated, he can refer the patient to a mycologist.
In severe cases, the answer to the question of which doctor treats toenails is contacting a mycologist. This is the name of the same dermatologist who treats only fungal lesions of the skin, hair and nail plate. It is not available in every clinic or even in the city. Mycologists' consultations include treatment and prevention of fungal diseases: onychomycosis, candidiasis, microsporia, trichophytosis, athletic foot, foot mycosis. You must contact them after a referral from a dermatologist.
Once you find out which doctor treats toenail fungus, do not hesitate to schedule an examination. On the first visit, the nail specialist asks the patient about the age of the problem, the feelings he is experiencing, the patient's lifestyle. After gathering information, a preliminary examination of the affected areas of the foot is performed, a diagnosis is made and the stage of infection is determined.
External signs may not always indicate the type of fungus, so scraping dead shells is taken for laboratory research. The obtained medical material is examined under a microscope and placed on nutrient media. It is necessary to visit a doctor as soon as possible to cure the fungus without consequences for the patient and his body.
After receiving the analysis from the laboratory, a second consultation is performed. Mycologist or dermatologist informs about the cause, the presence of the fungus, its type and prescribes the correct treatment. Medications are selected depending on the individual characteristics of the patient. The procedure for treating the disease is long, so it will be necessary to visit specialists several more times in order to control the therapy and prevent infection of the patient's organism.
After studying the etiology of the fungus that affected the nail plate on the feet, treatment was prescribed. It is not advisable to choose medications on your own as there is a risk of side effects. The main antifungals and treatments used are:
- oral - tablets, capsules for complex action on the parasite from the inside;
- local effects - applied externally, this includes ointments, creams, compresses, drops, varnishes;
- special laser treatment - improves the penetration of funds inside, tissue microcirculation;
- a recommendation for surgical nail removal is prescribed in extreme cases when restoration is impossible.
Popular effective drugs, divided into groups according to the effect on the fungal pathogen of the disease, are:
- Antifungal varnishes.
- Preparations to remove plaque (sometimes required to treat fungus).
- Antifungal tablets.
- Creams, ointments, sprays.
- Other products: medicinal liquids, tea tree oil, etc.