Fungus is a rather unpleasant infectious disease that is transmitted from one person to another. Moreover, this disease can affect both men and women. Summer is undoubtedly the most beautiful season, which tells us not only about relaxation and light t-shirts, but also about excessive sweating, as well as extremely open surface of the legs. This seemingly simple nuance acts as an excellent predisposing factor that helps spread completely different infections, including fungal ones. The symptoms of foot fungus can have pronounced or hidden characteristics.
Zones in which this unpleasant disease can be contracted can usually be distinguished by the fact that in their territory people generally move around barefoot, or at least take off their shoes. Fungus on the feet can easily be picked up in a public bath or sauna, in a swimming pool, shower on the beach, in the locker room at the gym, as well as in any beauty salon where the most common pedicure services are provided.
Key symptoms and signs
Fungi on the feet can often be seen with the naked eye, the symptoms of which begin to manifest in the area of the toenails.Why nails? It's pretty obvious: the nail has a huge amount of a substance called keratin, which can perfectly feed any fungal infection.
The first sign of a fungal infection is a change in the color and shape of the nail: it can be yellow, red or brown, and the structure also changes. It is extremely problematic to cut the diseased nail plate, it can be easily deformed and constantly crumble, and you can also notice a lot of cracks and stripes on the nail. In addition, the color shade of the infected nail plate often depends on the type of fungal infection, such as fungus or mold. An anti-fungal cream will help eliminate this problem.
The nail plate immediately begins to show a reaction to the infection, and the result of everything is keratinization: the nail becomes thicker, which is why quick treatment is simply impossible.
But this is not all. The fungal infection continues to manifest itself and passes to the fingers and feet - this can be seen due to redness, itching and burning, in specific advanced situations the formation of vesicles with inflammation and deformation can be observed. This stage of the disease can leave many serious ulcers and erosions.
But even the most detailed information about the symptoms of a fungal disease cannot report with 100% accuracy the type of this or that fungus.
As you know, the types of fungal disease are presented in a large number today, and the symptoms of foot fungus remain similar or even almost the same. Therefore, the best solution will be to undergo a medical examination, where the damaged area of the nail is studied exclusively in laboratory conditions. It will help in identifying the disease.
In order to have a clear idea of what a fungal disease looks like in the foot area, you must be familiar with the basic symptoms, including:
- red skin;
- peeling skin;
- blisters that are filled with fluid;
- change in the color shade and structure of the nail plate;
- deformation, delamination of the nail.
Not in every situation, such conditions indicate that it is a fungal disease of the legs. Signs can easily signal a completely different wound. Only an experienced doctor can make an accurate diagnosis. Differentiation is carried out in many different skin diseases: from eczema and lichen planus to psoriasis and others. Sometimes it is important to know not only the symptoms, but also to conduct tests.
In general, it is very easy to determine the type of fungal disease, knowing the symptoms. However, when the disease has not yet gone beyond the nail plate, it is necessary to determine the type of onychomycosis in order to choose the right drugs and quickly eliminate this unpleasant disease. Three types of fungal diseases cause deformation of the nail plate, and the symptoms will vary. It depends on the subtype of nail disease, and there are several of them:
- Dermatophyte is a fungal disease that produces gray-white, yellow spots with an uneven base. In the initial stage, spots are formed on the edges of the nail plate. The edges may also peel away from the skin and have a yellow tint.
- Fungal disease acts as a disease in which the nail plate acquires a dark or blackish color with a yellowish admixture. The structure starts to get waves, and the edges break. The peculiarity can be called strong redness, swelling, and with the slightest physical effort, you can feel pain in the affected area. A purulent mass often collects in the middle of the nail roller, the rupture of which can serve as a reason for the addition of other infectious diseases.
- Mold infection can be easily provoked due to weak immunity after a cold. The nail plate, when deformed by mold, can have different shades. In addition, you may notice the formation of cloudy spots. The leading feature in this situation can be considered the fact that the nail itself can be separated from the base and delaminated, preserving the integrity of its structure.
Prevention of foot fungus
The first thing that contributes to the occurrence of a fungal infection is increased sweating of the feet, when a person wears closed shoes almost continuously. The patient must remember that the fungal disease can easily tolerate low temperatures, even after freezing, it is still saved as the cause of the disease.
High temperature easily fights against diseases, so it is better to use boiling as a prevention on the feet. If the clothes are processed in this way, plus they are ironed, then the fungal disease will simply disappear. You can use formaldehyde to disinfect shoes: if you use this solution, an infection can occur within 20 minutes.